Little Project (a little OT)

Kristopher Means kmeans at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 27 02:29:47 GMT 2001

Onebil2mny at aol.com wrote:

> While it's not exactly on topic, I have a small job if anyone is willing to
> perform it. I am looking to convert my gas powered generator (like in a
> motorhome) to some sort of electronic ignition. I originally thought I could
> install a Boyer or similar motorcycle ignition system, but there isn't any
> rotating part that would lend itself to the installation. So, I thought that
> instead I might just have someone make some sort of transistor device that
> would take the load off the points, thus seriously extending their life and
> making the ignition system virtually maintenance free. Is there anyone out
> there who would be willing to undertake such a project for a reasonable fee?

If the generator has a 2 to 11 HP Briggs & Stratton engine, you can get an
electronic module to replace the points.  It looks like this -

   http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/56f06d35e7d55c1418234f8bb5/i-1.JPG

and is available from B&S dealers for $16.99.

Remember, these small engines have magnetos, so you can't just use an ignition
meant for an automotive distributor.

-- Kris