SpeedPro Tuning

Jörgen Karlsson jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se
Wed Jun 20 22:08:48 GMT 2001

Hi Bruce,

I admit it, your GN was a bad example. But maybe one that has similar
mechanic parts could benefit from the program.

The emmissions testing over here is a bit different, they check the
emmissions and that the EGR vavle is still there. I have been told that the
maximum values are pretty strict by international standards, but they don't
usually do a component check. Since the syclone is a private import the
component check is not a problem, if the modifications was done when it was
in the US they are legal.

The manufacturers has to make a lot of tradeoffs to make the car work under
any circumstance, that is what makes it possible for us to get added
performance with simple modifications.

A few of my friends work at the engine lab at volvo, they find it very
amusing to spend hours listening to knock and checking in cylinder pressure
plots. Then they pull a few degrees of the curve they used in the worst test
engine and deliver it to final testing. During the last years the tolerances
between the engines have been worked on a lot, some of volvos cars have hand
ported heads and intakes from the factory to stay within spec. Wide band o2
is required to meet the highest emission standards today. These cars can
still be inproved but they require a lot more work then the older cars, the
electronics compensate for almost everything.

And I don’t have a race car and the money, I only tune the beast. I am very
slowly building a turbocharged Audi 80 for myself, I went with autronic on
that car. It takes me ages to get money for everything.

Jörgen