DIY_EFI Digest V5 #525

Carter Shore clshore at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 13:08:12 GMT 2001

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001, Nigel Heron wrote:

> Subject: fuel rail
>
> hi,
>
> i'm going to be making a custom fuel rail for my 16v
> vw out of billet aluminum.
> What is the appropriate internal volume of a fuel
> rail? is there a basic guidline based on injector
> size, fuel pressure, max rpm, etc.?
>
> thanks,
> - -nigel.

Nigel, listers,

You can get fuel rail extrusion for $12/ft from
Arizona Speed and Marine:

http://www.azspeed-marine.com/products/fuelinj/injacc.html

This rail is sized for V-8's, (approx 1/2" ID), so
it's probably not too large. Of course, you may still
have to deal with harmonics, etc., but at that price,
you can afford to build a few and experiment.

I bought my rail from them, a 3ft piece. NFI, etc.

I'm using Ford Bosch style injectors, so I got a 14 MM
(.551 ") reamer for finishing the injector holes.
Have not machined it yet, so I can't report on the
results.

Has anyone considered putting a piece of open cell
foam (like inside a fuel cell) or maybe a metal or
plastic mesh inside one of these rails? The idea being
to dampen the acoustic characteristics without
impeding the flow.

I'd favor a piece of coarse stainless mesh, rolled up
into a cylinder, and inserted into the passage. The
foam makes me uncomfortable for the long haul.

Anyone know the speed of sound in gasoline at 43 psi,
and 100 F? Maybe the resonant frequency of the chamber
can be calculated.

Of course, if you are committed to making your own
rail from scratch, good luck!

Carter Shore