after market airflow meters

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 20:44:07 GMT 2001

Ron wrote:

This is based only on restriction.  If the fueling is off, changing the A/F
ratio without changing the restriction could possably improve (or reduce)
power by 10% or so.  I have seen this published in various places in the past.

Its actually a linear hp/psia relationship (first order, neglecting
internal friction etc....etc...).

Hello Ron,

    I think your formula is far to general to have less than a 50% error
factor in practice.  For example, (an actual case) the same engine on the
dyno tested with three different throttle arrangements (single, double, and
six).  Manifold pressure at WOT varied less than 2 inHg, HP varied by double
digit percentages at the same rpm.  Your formula would imply a 6% variation,
an error factor of over 100%.  I'm afraid it is not as simple as flow though
a pipe.

Paul Saltwick