combustion pressure sensor

BamaInstrument BamaInstrument at email.msn.com
Tue May 8 19:49:49 GMT 2001

Don't know that I agree with all this.  It seems to me that the force read
is the force pushing the spark plug out of the hole.  Therefore, If the
spark plug is torqued correctly then the force gauge would indicate a
decrease of the tightening force.  Since the tightening force would be much
greater than the compression force the transducer would probably be very
linear.

As for calibration, when the engine is cranked and not firing with wide open
throttle, there is a certain pressure developed depending on the compression
ratio.  This could be calibration.  I would suppose that calibration would
change with temperature, I don't know the characteristic of piezo
transducers.  The signal would be the first derivative of cylinder
pressure - no DC measurements here.

Very interesting device.

dh