Manifold Construction

Jack Doe x2943yz at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 14:52:51 GMT 2001

I remember seeing a page where somebody had
constructed a manifold for a subaru single port flat 4
(ea81) using carbon fiber with steel lugs on the
intake ports (4130 steel and 1.5" long) for joining
and posibly to eliminate heat.  The manifold was for a
homebuilt aircraft.  He had chosen this meathod
because the stock aluminum casting was about 7 lbs.
heavier than it neaded to be.  One URL is:

http://www.interstice.com/~kevinh/soobfaq.html#14.0

A common method is to construct a styrofoam mockup and
lay up the carbon on that then the styrofoam can be
removed with hand tools and gasoline.  I think that
I've also heard of using pool acid, maybe that was to
remove an aluminum lug from a carbon peice though
anyway, good luck.