Turbo Imp - Surge tank advice?

Dave Edge edgedj at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 09:17:09 GMT 2001

Hi All,

Just a quick note to all out there by way of
introduction. I own a 1969 Sunbeam Stiletto (Hillman
Imp by any other name) which has a 930 na engine
fitted. The aim of the project is to produce a
reliable 130bhp, more importantly I want 80lbs+ of
torque. To do this I need to install a Renault 5
Garrett T2 turbo and of course to do that, I need EFI.
I have all the bits for the turbo from ss manifold to
intercooler. I bought an aftermarket ECU from
www.perfectpower.com and then my difficulties started.
It's supposed to be a basic system repsonding to
engine temp, MAP, throttle, electronic points, single
coil firing, control of two banks of injectors. The
ECU itself suffers from interference and refuses to
fire consistently, flames have been spotted out the
back when running. Basically the only reason the
engine runs at all is that the coil fires virtually
all the time and the rotor arm points the spark to
ROUGHLY the right plug. Same result in my girlfriend's
Nissan Micra so the ECU has gone back to SA for
replacement(which they are very happy to do - phew).

In the meantime, my main problem is that of fuel
supply. I have a 60psi fuel pump from a Ford Fiesta
XR2i, any ideas on surge tank location(are they even
necessary) given my front petrol tank / rear engine
setup.

a) Surge tank high in the wing above the engine and
use the old mechanical pump to fill it.

b) Surge tank below existing fuel tank gravity fed and
pressurise the line along the car

c) just fit the thing in my fuel tank and wait for
surge round corners.

Cheers
Dave