Wide Band O2 Measurement

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Thu May 31 19:34:03 GMT 2001

>A local dyno shop that I spoke with claimed that their wideband meter
>could accurately measure O2 downstream of the cats.  I always assumed
>that any O2 measurement (for A/F ratio) had to take place in front of
>the cats since they use some of the O2 to convert CO into
> CO2.  Who is correct?

Just check out the post-cat O2 sensor readings on an OBDII vehicle.  They
show virtually a flat line no matter what the pre-cat O2 readings show.

I *think* (but I'm really damn far from sure) that you could take a four-gas
and figure out the mixture with a post-cat reading.  Any input on this idea
from the techs out there?

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante