Keeping usage agreements

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Fri Nov 9 16:20:46 GMT 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:15:09 -0600 Andrew Theurer <habanero at us.ibm.com>
writes:
> I do not think the agreement restricts anyone
> from
> desiging a generic output device, that could work with WB-O2, even
> if they
> did injest the info about diy-wb.

Of course it doesn't. And yes, there are countless ways to weasel around
an agreement. The point is everyone knows this display's purpose and
intent was as an add-on to the diyWB, as all of the discussion has made
clear.

> The agreement you protect is a cancer ...

Nice try, but a misleading analogy. The agreement we are trying to
protect is an "immune system", not a cancer trying to kill healthy
growth. It is symbiotic to future development, and benign to anyone of
good faith. You would consider any limitations, boundaries, or conditions
'cancerous' simply because what you care about is your own 'borg' type
assimilation (I prefer to call it sucking up) of anything you find of
value for your own use without restrictions, without regard for how your
own usage may affect further projects. Now *that* is cancerous.

Thank you for going so clearly on the record.

BLM