Spark plug pic's

Joe Scruggs TA81Joe at home.com
Thu Oct 4 02:36:34 GMT 2001

Sort of on subject - - I drive a '99 Dodge as a company truck sometimes.
Since it was new it always had pinging - usually while at cruise in OD and
increase load.  Pinging makes me cringe and I looked into it, thinking we
needed to get it fixed.  However, I was surprised to find that the manual
specifically states that slight audible pinging is NORMAL!  I don't service
the truck personally, but I would like to see what the plugs look like.

In the early 70's, the Ford 351W's were really bad about pinging very much
like this Dodge.  It was due to the EGR - normally it was either stuck or
the vacuum hose was disconnected ;)  I don't know why Dodge considers this
normal.  I agree that any car built in the last 15 years or so, should not
have audible pinging.  Just a couple of cents . . .

Joe