plug readings vs electronics

Jason Mauldin jmauld at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 13:34:41 GMT 2001

> EGT should make the EGT increase, but it is not a
> good way to determine if
> the engine detonates. On a knock controlled car
> detonation will cause an
> increase in EGT, at least if the engine management
> system retards the
> ignition. But that is an other ballgame.

Okay this is a knock controlled car, which does retard
ignition timing.  That may be the correlation between
my high EGT's and knock.  The knock was coming from
the combination of high boost and a potentially
heatsoaked intercooler.  I wasn't monitoring the EGT's
for knock, other then knowing when to let up.  After
the run was complete, I reviewed the info on the
datalogger which showed that I was getting excessive
knock and timing was being pulled back right at the
moment that my EGT's increased rapidly.