turbos

Mark Agnello m_agnello at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 15:12:23 GMT 2001

--- ECMnut at aol.com wrote:
> Why not look for a low milage
> engine
> as time & money permit?
> You can set up manifold & plumbing on the engine
> stand and take
> your time.  When ready, you will have minimal
> downtime that way.

I strongly agree with Mike.  You are asking for
trouble if you start modifying your daily driver with
a worn engine and you need to depend on it for
transportation.  You will be lucky to get 30K miles
out of that engine if you turbo it without rebuild.  I
am doing something similar with my 88 Celica Turbo.  I
bought a junkyard engine and I am taking my time
preparing it.  Meanwhile, I can still use the car for
transportation.  It costs more to do it this way but
the human stress level is much lower.;)

One of the other posts raised a very good point.  Your
stock fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulator are not
set up for boosted operation.  Your stock ECU maps
will also not be appropriate.  It can cost serious
money just to address this problem.  Here is an
example from my project car.  I am going to tune the
engine for 17 psi boost vs 7-9 psi stock.  The
additional stresses require me to address all the
things you will have to do to put a mild boost turbo
on your engine.

1.  540cc injectors to replace stock 440cc.  $125 used
plus $100.00 to have RC Engineering rebuild them.
2.  Bore out stock fuel rail additional 2mm to
increase flow capability.  $100.00
3.  Rising rate fuel regulator.  $150.00
4.  Modified ECU from G Force Engineering.  This has
revised timing and injector maps.  $650.00
5.  Higher flow fuel pump from Turbo Supra.  ~$300.00
6.  Apexi Super AFC to provide additional fuel curve
tuning capability.  $320.00.
7.  ARP head studs.  (Do not reuse OEM head studs with
a boosted engine.)  $125.00
8.  New HKS head gasket.  $300.00  (This may be
overkill for you but at 17+ psi, I am not taking any
chances.)

I am not trying to totally discourage you, but if you
are after reliable daily operation of your motor, you
have to pay attention to details like this.  Have you
considered looking for a turbocharged GM motor that
may fit your car?  If you could get a used engine with
wiring harness and ECU, that will probably be the most
cost effective path for you.

=====
Mark Agnello
Washington Crossing, PA (USA)
88 Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo (restoration project)
92 Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo
96 Honda VFR
89 Honda Hawk GT (restoration project)