Cold fuel

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Thu Oct 18 02:32:02 GMT 2001

Bruce wrote:

> With wet manifolds, might have a problem with the fuel being too warm (also
> remember in carb applications you have to allow for fuel volume).   So they
> can have ****TOO**** much of a good thing (vaporization).
>
> On EFI (port), just about the opposite is true.  You can have trouble, er,
> you can sometimes improve performance by aiding with fuel vaporization.
>
> If you look at the latest GM manifolds, and heads you can see where they are
> making a real effort to get as much fuel on the back of the valve head as
> possible.
>
> Honda F1 in years last ran a fuel preheater, to aid in vaporization.
> Bruce

On a 95 deg summer day running around elkhart lake for 60 min., after 45 min.
everything was hot - track temp > 120, the fuel in the rails boils when you let
off the gas going into a corner and the fuel pressure drops to match the engine
vacuum. When you step on the gas exiting the corner, it's just like a carb w/
vapor lock. it takes about two seconds full throttle to clean out the rails....
maybe my bigger fuel pump will make the problem worse.  IMHO, heating the fuel
will produce better mileage/power/combustion, I like the new, non-recycle efi
fuel systems. The bypass ones really heat the fuel... Tom