Aerochargers are better than (insert compressor)

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon Oct 22 12:54:34 GMT 2001

-> Of course you will. The larger pipe is of no use when the engine is
-> making 30 HP. Most engines have no objection to slight backpressure
-> under light loads, anyway.

 Minor back pressure effects are trivial in relation to the sonic
"slug" exiting the cylinder when the valve cracks open.  If you look at
a pressure diagram, most of the pressure bleeds off about the time the
piston passes BDC.

 Tyrannosaurus RX is running a 302 Ford V8 through the original ~2"
single exhaust and muffler that served the Wankel.  It's very quiet.  I
put an exhaust pressure gauge in several years ago.  Under most driving
conditions, it stays firmly on the "0" mark.  About the only thing
that'll make it come up is punching in the secondaries on the carb, at
which point it'll run up to 9 PSI or so.

-> Some even run better that way.

 For cruise, yes.  Reduces scavenge, which wastes fuel.

 It's not unusual for a modern OEM exhaust system to run over 30 PSI of
back pressure at WOT, though.  The catalyst doesn't restrict much, but
the ever-tightening war against noise makes some of the muffler and
tailpipe setups quite restrictive.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?