Aerochargers are better than (insert compressor)

Matt Beaubien mrbeau0 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 01:44:30 GMT 2001

Greg,

> Do you really think you will get optimum cruising fuel mileage if you are
> exhausting a 200 plus HP engine through a 1.5" diameter single exhaust
pipe
> ??

> Again, I will say that with the right controller, opening the wastegate at
> light engine loads can help efficiency. Oddly enough, McInnes seems to
> agree with me.

It's been a little while since I've looked at a P-V and T-S diagram for an
Otto cycle, but does it really matter much to the effciency of a throttled
engine if you do it on the intake vs exaust side?  Say you created so much
back pressure that you could run WOT at normal cruise--what would the
efficiency be like?  I guess you have to take into account combustion
effects (EGR etc) and not just the thermo diagrams.

Matt.