Aerochargers are better than (insert compressor)

Matt Beaubien mrbeau0 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 01:47:15 GMT 2001

Dave,

>  Tyrannosaurus RX is running a 302 Ford V8 through the original ~2"
> single exhaust and muffler that served the Wankel.  It's very quiet.  I
> put an exhaust pressure gauge in several years ago.  Under most driving
> conditions, it stays firmly on the "0" mark.  About the only thing
> that'll make it come up is punching in the secondaries on the carb, at
> which point it'll run up to 9 PSI or so.

Everyone seems to talk about how bad it is having more exhaust pressure than
intake pressure (mainly on turbo motors), but they seem to fail to realize
that _every_ naturally aspirated engine out there is like that.  I'm not
saying that it's good or anything--just hard to have otherwise.

>  It's not unusual for a modern OEM exhaust system to run over 30 PSI of
> back pressure at WOT, though.  The catalyst doesn't restrict much, but
> the ever-tightening war against noise makes some of the muffler and
> tailpipe setups quite restrictive.

30 psi??  I think you meant more like 30" Hg, which is ~15 psi.  Drive-by
noise standards also affect intake ducting quite a bit--more so than exhaust
at times.

Matt.