Bolt on Throttlebody suggestions

Alan Barrow abarrow at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 24 01:15:17 GMT 2001

Matt writes:
> Hmmm... this may be a little on the large side, but how about the Chrysler
> 2.2 or 2.5?

As you mention, a pair of them are probably going to be too big for my 2.5l
4 cyl. Especially given it is an offroad engine with a 4500 rpm readline.
(long stroke, etc)

I have seen some neat TB's on one of the smaller diamond-star chryslers. I
may have to take a look again. Most of the Japanese stuff was purpose built,
and pretty convoluted to fit under the hood. But I am going to broaden my
search some.

The top contender for K-jectronic seems to be to fabricate mostly stub
intake runners with flanges and the cups for the mechanical injectors. Use a
plenum and throttle off a Saab 99, which couples to the runners with short
hoses. I'll use longer silicone hose for actual runner with clamps, and weld
brackets to support the plenum.

Actually, this approach would also work for EFI, as well. Use a similar
plenum/TB from a Saab 9000. I would still have to deal with the fact that
the air-cooled engine needs to be richer than 14.7, so the cpu will need
some work.

Anyway, thanks for the idea! I'll hit the Chrysler row again!

Thanks,

Alan