ECU for 14k rpm V8

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Thu Sep 27 13:12:41 GMT 2001

Axel Rietschin wrote:

> > Interestingly, F1 engines used to be very small-capacity (this is going
> back
> > a decade or two), with less cylinders but with turbocharging. There was a
> > particular BMW engine that was, I thinkm 1.5 liters in displacment, was in
> > a V-6 configuration and pumped out some 1,200bhp in qualifying trim.
>
> ...4-in-line, built by www.mader-racing.com in Switzerland.

I believe that I have a picture of this engine:

   http://members.home.net/pfahlgren/cars/turbo/87_bmw_f1.jpg

I found it interesting that the throttle body is _before_ the
turbo inlet.  I would think that causing a vacuum in the whole
intake tract would cause poorer throttle response (anathema
of a road racing engine), but that's only a guess.  Anyone
got a good explanation for this?  Lower stress on turbine shaft?

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA