TPS based boost control?

Chris Waltham chris at harvestroad.com
Fri Sep 28 02:44:18 GMT 2001

>I'm really keen on the feature that the Autronic ECU has where you can vary
>the wastegate control according to TPS... does anyone make a boost
>controller that allows some kind of extra control like this?  or has anyone
>modified one of the electronic units to have TPS switch between two boost
>presets, for example?   sure would be cool to have 500hp at 50% 700hp at 70%
>and 900hp at 90% !!!  would help quite a bit on the street at least...

Not sure if it's limited to Autronic or not (I'd imagine MoTeC would be able
to do it as well), but it's an interesting feature. When I last used it, we'd
get the Autronic boost controller to keep the boost through the rev range,
then have it tail off slightly as gear changes approached (around 6000rpm).
This way, we could be a little more gentle on the gears.. I don't know what
it referenced, though - the car used a sole MAP sensor, however we had the
TPS sensor still hooked up. I'm not sure what we did with it's output, though.

Probably not fantasticly helpful in what we were doing (rallying), but a
nice idea nonetheless.

Chris