F1, trickle-down, etc.

James Montebello jamesm at lapuwali.com
Sat Sep 29 05:22:38 GMT 2001

Hmm...For several years now, Kevin Cameron, an engineer who writes an
excellent column for _Cycle World_, has said exactly the opposite.
Current F1 engines have far higher specific outputs than current
front-line 4-stroke motorcycle engines.  Pneumatic valve gear is not used
by any of the bikes.  None of them approach the insane piston speeds
currently seen by F1 engines, nor do they use materials anywhere near as
exotic.  The 2-strokes used by the premier classes are not particularly
sophisticated, and haven't been developed to significantly higher power
levels in several years, primarily because their chassis and tires simply
won't handle anymore than they have.

On street bikes, fuel injection has only very recently become commonplace,
and still isn't universal on even the best-selling sporting machines.

Now that the premier class is switching from 2-strokes to 4-strokes, I
expect we'll see some catching up.  But the very fact that they have to
play catch up indicates that bikes are, in fact, quite a ways behind cars
in the technology stakes.  Most bike companies are relatively small, and
have tiny race budgets in compared to the F1 budgets of Mercedes, BMW,
Renault, and Ford.  Honda is alone in serving both camps, and has
certainly lead the 4-stroke charge in bike engines historically.

Perhaps 20 years ago, your statement was true.  It certainly hasn't
been for the last 10 years, however.

james montebello