F1, trickle-down, etc.

Jon Davis jfdavis at epix.net
Sun Sep 30 05:23:51 GMT 2001

I have never had an accident with another car. It's not because other people
were watching for me.

I just spent $8500 for a new FZ1... 3 sec 0-60, 10.5 sec 1/4, 111 ft 60-0,
all on street tires while getting 45 miles per gallon of 87 octane during
spirited riding.

Ignoring the cost of the car for a moment... if I spent $8500 on my car I
could get similar acceleration, if not better, although it would be a little
unruly to drive. Even if I spent $15000 I doubt I could get similar
all-around performance. I could never get that performance on street tires
getting 45 mpg on 87 octane. If I had such a car, rain or snow would result
in a similar lack of fun. My car already spins like hell in rain or snow,
and I doubt it can do better than 14 secs in the 1/4.

There's no replacement for lack of mass.

Jon Davis