Ethylene glycol & oxy sensors

Mike Poulson poulson at frontiernet.net
Sat Apr 6 07:13:35 GMT 2002

When I worked for Ford (dealerships) I did loads of 3.8l head gaskets. You
could always tell if they were blown by looking at the O2 sensors. The dye
from the coolant would turn them green. We used to order replacement O2
sensors for every job until we did a little experiment to see if it was
really the coolant that was contaminating the platinum/paladium or if it was
something else. We did a few head jobs without using any type of solvent to
clean the heads/ deck etc and reinstalled the green O2 sensors. They all
worked so we figured that it was the chlorine or other chemicals in the
solvents that was ruining them. After that, there was no more replacing the
sensors. Saved us a few minutes on a waranty job.

Mike aka Terrible Ted.

From: "Chris Wilson"
Subject: Re: Ethylene glycol & oxy sensors

> Sunday, March 17, 2002, 12:23:08 AM, you wrote:
>

> > Any hope of either my NB or WB sensors surviving a blown head gasket?
They

mailto:chris at formula3.freeserve.co.uk