question about passkey

van setten, tim @ ACSSD tim.van.setten at acssd.L-3com.com
Tue Apr 9 15:11:36 GMT 2002

	[Van Setten, Tim (L-3)]  I had to by-pass one of those systems on a
project.  If you watch the output of the module to the computer, when "It"
sees the correct value resistor, a 30 Hz square wave signal will be seen.
(A LM555 timer will by-pass the whole pass key system).
	I used a Decade Resistor Box connected to the wires that go to sense
the resistor in the key.  Starting at 500 ohms, I would apply power and
watch the output.  If no output, disconnect power, increase the value in 300
Ohm steps, and wait 5 minutes before applying power again.  There is an
internal time-out that will latch the output, even if the correct value is
sensed.  Do this until you get to about 50 K Ohms.  When you do find the
value, then sneak the value up and down until it latches (waiting 5 minutes
each time).  Then select the middle value and you will see that it is a
standard value resistor.  Mine ended up being something like 1.8 K Ohms.
Note that the module only looks at the resistor when power if first applied.

	If you need more help, email me and we'll get you going.....Tim.