Trying to learn about my Bosch Motronic

Stephen Andersen SAndersen at advan-tek.com
Thu Apr 11 02:07:42 GMT 2002

Bill,

I will reply here first, and then you can contact
me off-list if you think no-one else is interested.

I explored trying to dig-in and understand the Bosch
413 DME as well, since I am modifying a 93 325is.  I
however do not have the background in electronics and
particularly in programming to try to "brain-dump" the ECU
and re-program/map it.

Since I am working on development of a custom SC install/kit
for my car, and needed a way to re-map the fuel and timing, I
am going to end up using a UNICHIP in the short term to
meet my needs.  I would be interested in working with you on
this, however my abilities are very limited with this stuff.

As for connectors, what I did was purchase a "fried" DME and
a cutoff harness from a 525 (the harness is shorter) from Vines
BMW (salvage yard in the south) for around $100.  I used the harness
end and the connector in the fried DME to make a breakout harness for
my car so that I could wire in the UNICHIP without permanent mods,
and to allow me to tap into individual sensor wires for
datalogging.

In my searches, both internet and in books, info on the Bosch
Motronic is very limited.  We are a lot worse off than the
Ford and GM boys.  People like Conforti, etc. that have
cracked it, do not share...

Anyway, hope that helps.  I would be interested in talking
more...

Steve
sandersen at advan-tek.com