What is Super Jet/Jet Hot?

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Thu Apr 11 17:29:02 GMT 2002

I didn't see this make it out, so am resending it in abbreviated form. My
apologies if a dupe. :)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:07:37 +1200, Tony Bryant <brd at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>http://www.theoldone.com/archive/manifold-fabrication.htm
>
>In the above URL there's a mention of using baking soda and
>"Super Jet" to make prototypes from.
>
>Could someone tell me what "Super Jet" is?

Ahh, I think he's referring to a couple brands of cyanoacrylate glue (ya know,
super glu/crazy glu type stuff).

Standard aircraft builder's trick; cyanoacrylate "accelerant" is just a "base"
like baking soda in solution. There's usually enough moisture in the air to
supply the h2o when using dry baking soda, and what baking soda doesn't get
chemically used up in the quite exothermic reaction, ends up as a filler.
Typically when tacking two things together in a hurry when constructing
experimental aircraft parts, we'll use both the baking soda and some "micro"
(glass microballons) as a real filler along with the cyanoacrylate glue. This
isn't used for structural bonds BTW, just a fast hard tack.

Yeah yeah, you thot crazyglue was fast already?; well, this is like "flash"
gluing. Absolutely instantaneous; poof. This way, you can use the thicker types
of CA glue to fill a gap, but not have to wait for it to then go off. Fill the
gap, then dust the glue joint with the baking soda and presto, done deal. OR
like the above article Tony suggested, dust in the soda into the gap and drop in
some of the thin CA stuff. 'Presto' as Bullwinkle would say.

HTH,
Gar