Who wouldn't use a 5-wire O2 Sensor?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Apr 12 01:12:57 GMT 2002

Drag engines?  Nope.  I live fairly close to "Nascar's most dangerous track."

There's still some roundy car tracks in the area.  The Busch north series runs
here, lotsa smaller classes of racing, too.  It's too bad that some of the
smaller modified tracks are shutting down, but I guess America prefers racing on
their TV and Wally World close to home.

It's funny, but when I talk to the guys that work the pits, they don't do nuttin
during a race "on the track" 'cept fix the car.  And there's still a bunch of
guys that use plug reading during the test sessions.  "gauges fail, but the
plugs _always_ tell the truth."  --So I'm told.

I've met drivers that never see the tach.  Ask 'em what the engine was doing,
they say "I dunno."  Yeah, telemetry or recording devices is the only way to get
any information from sensors.

Point is?  I've only met a few guys (and they're young ones) that are regularly
using additional instrumentation on the cars.  Plenty have tried it, and some
hook the sensors up "fairly often," but it still seems to be about using your
senses more than anything.

I guess mabe the old stereotypes are still true?  The guys on the left coast
love to run high tech, and the guys on the right coast just love to run.

Shannen