Who wouldn't use a 5-wire O2 Sensor?

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Apr 12 04:45:29 GMT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:02:40 -0400, Shannen Durphey <shannen at grolen.com> wrote:

>It's funny, but when I talk to the guys that work the pits, they don't do nuttin
>during a race "on the track" 'cept fix the car.

My comments had mostly to do with track tuning, not race day; altho I know that
some teams do very closely monitor tires, suspension, and handling via telemetry
to watch for changing track conditions so they can quickly adapt to them.

>And there's still a bunch of
>guys that use plug reading during the test sessions.  "gauges fail, but the
>plugs _always_ tell the truth."  --So I'm told.

Sure, why not. I spose there were lots of people, before the advent of
electronic IGN, who never bought a dwell meter, and did just fine with only a
feeler gage. Same argument could be made; a dwell meter can fail, but a feeler
gage always tells the truth. OK, sure, I can see the logic in that. Heh.

Me, I used to use the feeler gage and then checked/tweaked with the dwell meter.
Best of both worlds.

>I guess mabe the old stereotypes are still true?  The guys on the left coast
>love to run high tech, and the guys on the right coast just love to run.

Gee, I wouldn't know about that, I don't go in for stereotypes much; but as best
I can tell, I'm not much at risk of being called a Luddite either. Hee.

Gar