Bosch c/l advance

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Sat Apr 13 02:02:05 GMT 2002

> >Now we use Bosch sensors, one per side for a/f as well as 4
> >knock sensors, one ea between the cylinders in a closed loop ignition
> >system. Needed cause gas required by ACO at LeMans is pretty bad with a
> >MON rating of low 90's.
> Man would I love to see a datalog of the commanded ADV from that system. Do you
> recall seeing much of a difference between the 4 pairs of jugs?

Have not seen any actual plots of that but lots of time was spent on dyno
with cylinder pressure sensors to develop a timing curve. Bosch guy said
looking at the pv curves is a bit of an art as well as science. Retard
initially was limited to 6 deg. Before the closed loop knock control, we
barely made it thru the 24 hrs of LeMans with the 63 car. Inspection after
showed ring lands all messed up from detonation. This past year, the
winning car from LeMans with the closed loop control was perfect after
inspection after the race with leak downs barely worse after 24 hrs than
when new. The Aco fuel, aside from being low octane, is not the most
consistant you see, so closed loop saved us!!

> BTW, are those the new LSU4 sensors, or old LSM-11s you're using now? and can
> you say whose instrumentation you're using with them Boschs?

Bosch chose to use the LSM11 sensors and they interface directly into the
Bosch motorsports ecm that runs the LS1.

> Finally, what does the Vette team have in the way of surprises planned for us
> spectators this year?? Anything else newNstriking on the 7L specifically?

There is some improvements to 7L coming but big change for this year is a
revised Hewlanf transaxle that is lighter and more integrated with other
car components. Lighter is always  better.

frank