[Diy_efi] Estimation of spark advance

Carsten Beth Carsten.Beth at Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE
Sun Apr 21 20:29:50 GMT 2002

Hello Bruce!

> If you really think your as good as or better then the Honda engineers,
> well, knock yourself out, but I'd accurately map out what they have, and use
> that.   If you go to a high resolution map then maybe you can improve on it
> a little, but I really wouldn't be looking for any huge gains.

I don't want to make a perfect tuning with respect of power or whatever,
what I
mainly want, is just to overcome some inaccuracies. The Honda engineers
build a
system with two cams on the end of the cam shaft. These cams drive two
points,
each responsible for one coil resp. two cylinders. This leads to
inaccuracies
because both cams aren't exactly equal and little differences leads to
big
differences in the sparc advance. If I adjust the advance for one
cylinder, I
observate an deviation of more than 5° for the other one. There is also
no way
to justify this fault. In that sense I actually think my system is
better than
the original one.

> Motorcycle
> (touring) is going to be conservative, tune wise, an increase in timing,
> might just get you some galled rings in stop and go traffic.

What do you mean with _conservative_? Do you mean it's better to give
less
advance? Perry Harrington writes in the same thread something about 2°
less
than the point where the engine begins to ping. Would you give less than
2°?
And (sorry, my english isn't really good, how you surely noticed) what
do you
mean with galled rings?

Carsten