[Diy_efi] Estimation of spark advance

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Sun Apr 21 21:33:42 GMT 2002

Hi Carsten,

Don't worry about your English, as mein Deutsch is nicht gut, but my Bruce
is getting much better and i can usually translate him into European :-)

Can't vouch for Perry, but Bruce has built and tuned an awful lot of engines
so has something guys like me lack: experience. Someone somewhere once wrote
that optimum spark tuning is up to the edge of knock and back off 2°. So
that then becomes accepted wisdom, without dyno data to really back it up.
And whilst it is probably a very good rule of thumb for racing engines that
get rebuilt every few 100km it may not be the best compromise for street
use.

Your bike is not a fireblade/hyabusa and therefore you are probably more
after reliability than the last HP. You want good manners when you ride it
etc. So the optimum spark curve for power may not be what you are after.
Also if you are flying close to the wind it helps to have a guaranteed fuel
that is always the same (I read that so it may be wrong, but makes sense).

Was that about right Bruce?

Bill