[Diy_efi] Traction Control System (update 2)

Brian Sidebotham BRIAN at lightprocessor.co.uk
Fri Apr 26 11:26:49 GMT 2002

hmmm. I think you need to do a bit more investigation. ABS
sensors (All that I've seen) are simply inductive pickups, which use
a toothed rotor, usually on the outer CV, or drum (2WD cars). Each
sensor gives out an AC signal, of a set voltage, but varying
frequency. The operation is clear. As a tooth on the rotor comes
close to the inductive pickup, the voltage out of the sensor rises,
as a gap approaches, the voltage falls, this gives the AC output. As
the wheel rotates faster and faster, the teeth pass the rotor much
faster, and therefore the output frequency is much faster.

I'm afraid that doing this on a PC is a bit OTT. All you need is what
has been suggested. A simple micro (I'm an Atmel AVR man ;) )
Which has at least one timer on board. Use the LM339, or
whatever other op-amp you wish to get the pulses, input these to
four input pins on the processor, and use the timer to get the
frequency of all four wheels. Then a simple differential algorythm in
the processor will give you the resultant difference in wheel speeds.

For reference, Vauxhall have two ABS sensor rotors. All available
on CV joints. The early system used 29 teeth, and the later
system used 43 teeth. This gives a pretty high resolution. I guess
that they increased the number of teeth to get a higher accuracy.
They started including traction control as an option on the cars
which appeared with the later 43 toothed rotor

What are you measuring the voltage with? Are you using an
oscilloscope? If you're majorly stuck, and it sounds like your
hardware knowledge is very limited, then maybe look at getting a
Picoscope or another add-in board for your PC. It's very OTT
though, you may struggle to code quick enough code to deal with
the data. A micro would be much neater, your code would be
dedicated to the task of TC. I would suggest getting an eval board
aswell TBH.

I'm off the internet ATM, but if you want some internet links, I'll get
some together for you. Other than that, my system info will be
available pretty soon, which you could try out on your car too. I'll
try and get a couple of prototype boards done, and you can have
the code... (be a couple of months though, as I'm v.busy at work)

Brian.
P.S. if your using a DVM or similar to get the voltage off the
sensors, you are reading incorrectly. The response of the meter will
change with frequency. Basically, using a DVM on the output of
the sensor is inaccurate. Check the DVM, it will have a frequency
range for measuring AC signals.