[Diy_efi] O2 sensor sensitivy speed

Kenny watson at iamfun.com
Fri Apr 26 21:53:22 GMT 2002

Bruce,

> >At idle on a scope, you can see each cylinder,
> clearly (I've seen that).
> >Supposedly, that holds true to about 3K RPM on
> a v8.
> >
> > > So that by you can tune each injector
> individually.

Easier to use an EGT gauge in each exhaust manifold
runner imo. Also the critical time where uneven
cylinder filling will cause serious problems is
generally above 3k.

>Given the proper mechanical answers, I think
> the gains with it are minimal.

Depends on the application. With race engines,
detecting uneven air distibution into each intake
runner/cylinder is very critical. High end engine
managent systems are built with functions to trim each
cylinder independently for good reason imo.

>I'd worry more about individual cylinder tuning
> as a function of detonation
>control rather then just for AFR.

Yes but lean mixtures and detonation go hand in hand.
Monitoring individual A/F mixtures and trimming each
cylinder accordingly will go a long ways toward both
optimum power as well as detonation prevention.

> And that's
> mostly about timing (given
>the proper mechanicals).

Isn't it easier to re-trim the injector duty cycle to a
single cylinder? retarding a single ignition event to
attempt to avoid detonating seems odd to me when
richening the mixture to the offending cylinder is
significantly easier. If ignition advance is the issue
then it has to be retarded to all cylinders. Letting
the other cylinders have optimal timing and controlling
the single detonating cylinders mixture will indeed
result in performance increases dependent upon things
like the intake plenum's overall design for example.
-Kenny