[Diy_efi] Effect of detonation on measured mixture?

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Sat Apr 27 01:02:10 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannen Durphey" <shannen at grolen.com>
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Effect of detonation on measured mixture?
> Bruce wrote:
> > On the GNs, you normally have to leave the plug gap at like .035" or
> > slightly less for reliable ignition (it's DIS also).  In some
experimenting
> > today, I doubled that, with my CNP and things are fine <G>.
> > Bruce
> IIRC, the early days of the DIS Buick engines saw really large plug gaps.
Then the
> started to drop down really fast.  I still smile when I remember going to
a special
> class on how to work with DIS systems.

Some of the CCC applications got the .060" gap plugs.  Thou they were really
hard on caps/rotors.

> "...and always make sure not to create a conductive path through your
heart.
> There's less risk of a heart attack that way."

Or to stop a heart attack <g>.

> But what's real fun for me is thinking about Smokey Yunick saying
something like "We need to see really large amounts of spark voltage to make
real improvements.  I
> don't think I've ever put too much spark to the plugs.  But I don't expect
the
> manufacturers will ever really supply enough spark voltage for real
performance."
> Smart guy, that Smokey, but even he couldn't forsee in 1970 the power held
by CAFE standards and the EPA in the 1990's.

Yep,  Autoweek as an ad in it for his bio..
Doc's been yapping about all day today
Bruce