[Diy_efi] Effect of detonation on measured mixture?

Shawn Fogg sfogg at attglobal.net
Sat Apr 27 03:00:24 GMT 2002

Shannen,

"and that it only lights the malfunction indicator lamp if the misfire is severe enough to cause catalyst damaging emissions."

Nope, it actually has 10 different faults for misfires. 4 for each cylinder 'non-catalytst damamging', 1 for multiple/random cylinder misifire 'non-damaging' then 5 more the same again except for catalyst damaging. No damaging will be logged as pending the first time around then will light the MIL on the second fault. The damaging codes flash the MIL on the first occurance.

The system is actually pretty sensitive. With the original version of the software in the DME I know a few guys that added the same supercharger as I have and they started getting misfire faults at idle. The extra load, and this is an Eaton with a bypass valve, was making enough of a change to trigger the non-damaging faults. Later software versions for the car actually desensitized this a little.

If you put a bad plug in or have a slightly loose wire it will 'see' it and give you the fault.

Shawn