[Diy_efi] Traction Control System (update 2)

Axel Rietschin axel_rietschin at compuserve.com
Sun Apr 28 16:59:49 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Perry Harrington" <pedward at apsoft.com>
To: <Diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 1:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Traction Control System (update 2)

> Doing the D -> A -> D is totally uneccessary.

I agree on the princip but still, the LM2907 exists, and its app notes
specifically mention anti-skid applications, where you can easily obtain the
fastest, slowest or average wheel speed using simple circuitry; several
examples can be found on the data sheet.

That said, it is probably much easier to read a few internal ADCs than time
a falling edge, let alone four, if you know little or nothing about
microcontroller programming, not even mentionning that you can very easily
low-pass your intermediate voltage to filter out noise, something you might
have a hard time to do properly in the digital domain with a PIC. Moreover
you don't really care about absolute errors since you are mainly interested
in the speed differences so things like temp drift won't really be a
problem.

Last, from the PC side, receiving an RS232 data stream is really convenient
and easy to deal with, unlike timing the parallel port status change,
something you might find quite difficult to do on modern operating systems
like Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Again, I agree, D -> A -> D is unnecessary but certainly not such a problem
either, and I believe it has some advantages as mentionned above.

--Axel