[Diy_efi] Traction control strategy (solution offered)

Crescent Kao crescent at c-speedracing.com
Tue Apr 30 06:10:06 GMT 2002

Hmm.. ok. From reading your responses, it looks like the LM339 route is the
way to go using one of two options. Count the number of pulses over a fixed
interval, or determine the time between pulses.

I think Perry's concept of adding the sum of the two wheels will illiminate
any problems due to turning. One thing I think I failed to mention
previously is that our primary usage of the TC would be at the drag strip.
Our integra currently runs 12.80's in full street trim - naturally
aspirated. We run on 22x8x15 M/T's and still get some wheel spin in first.

The TC would basically be used during the first 60' or so... perhaps only up
to about 60mph. Thus, like mentioned previously, the LM2907 wouldn't be a
good candidate for low speed.

Anyways.. Back on topic, about the hardware side of things now... Basically
a single LM339 would suffice since it has 4 inputs. It would give up an
output voltage corrosponding to each zero cross over. (square wave output?)

As suggestioned, the output could then be directly read in from a parallel
port to a PC?

I think at this point in time, I would prefer to take this route - having a
PC run the algorithms - rather than using a PIC or MCU. Main reason being,
is because I am most familiar with this kind of setup. However, if you can
talk me into the other route, then I may decide to venture that way instead.

So, if i have this correct, all that needs to be done is to power up a
simple zero crossing detector circuit with the LM339. Feed the four ABS
signals to the input on the LM339. Then direct the output of the LM339 to
the parallel port.

No Op Amp is required and no A/D is required either.

So do i have this correct? Or am I missing a few components.

As someone also mentioned in a previous post as well, using the serial port
(RS232) may be easier (vs the parallel port). Is this true? If so, what
would be required to take this route?

Onto the software side - using option 1 by counting the number of pulses at
each wheel and comparing them to one another would seem like it would
work... The count the 10 strategy and then rest could work quite well. Count
each pulse for the drive wheels (up to 10) and compare the count to that of
the non-drive wheels. Determine the difference (ratio), and you will get a
percentage of wheel spin. Like bruce mentioned earlier, if the drive wheels
produce 10, and at that same instant, the non drive wheels have only gone 8,
then you know the drive wheels have spun.

Option 2 - in my PC world of programming it wouldn't be that difficult
either. Grab the system time at each pulse and sutract it from the previous
pulse time to determine the pulse width. If the different in pulse width
from the drive wheels vs the non-drive wheels exceed a set percentage, then
there is wheel spin and thus cut power.

Thoughts on these theories?

Crescent Kao
Director of Marketing and Sales