[Diy_efi] Traction control strategy (possibly OT)

Conrad conrad at conrad.uk.net
Tue Apr 30 16:41:49 GMT 2002

Sorry if I'm repeating old stuff or am being off topic, but I thought I'd
offer this (don't want to have to read the whole huge thread just incase its
been mentioned).

The TC on the MBE ecu in my westfield works like this:

For each gear there is a map of ignition retard/engine acceleration. So for
a given set of conditions you can do some test runs to see what level of
slip give the best times. So you might say 0 degree retard up to 4000 rpm/s,
3 degrees up to 4500 rpm/s etc etc. You need a defeat switch on the clutch
to allow you to blip on downshifts. The LC (a simple timed rev limit) switch
also defeats the TC.

Its perhaps fiddly to set up but really works well, without waking the
neigbours, and without any sensors on the car. Probably not the best system
in the world, but works well for me, and certainly makes the car safer on
the road in the wet. The gear position switch is tricky on an H-pattern box,
so I only use it in 1st and 2nd.

If anyone is interested in more info let me know.

Conrad