[Diy_efi] sequential injection timing

Eric Fahlgren eric.fahlgren at mscsoftware.com
Thu Aug 1 12:53:16 GMT 2002

> > > At best all you'd do is duplicate how well the Webers worked.
>
> > You forgot "when tuned properly."
>
> Please reread what I said, most specifically,
> **AT BEST**

Yes, I understood that, "at best" applies to my EFI-Weber and
"when tuned properly" applies to a Traditional-Weber.  So, with
my EW I hope to be able to reproduce well-tuned TW performance.

> There is nothing superior in EFI compared to (OK, here we go) Properly tuned
> Webers.

Aha, but how did we get to properly tuned Webers?  You are making my
point for me, because you have often stated that there are very few
people on the planet who have the knowledge and patience to actually
tune a Weber correctly (I take that as a given).  My contention is
that EFI-like tunability (move a single point in a map) is much,
much simpler than Weber tuning (change one or more coefficients of
one of several curves which interact and sum).

>   Closed Loop is just smoke and mirrors, there is no reason for it
> other then to cover for a poor calibration.   Up until 1981 the world
> revolved quite nicely without. <g>

Except after 50k or 100k miles without any attention to the fuel delivery
system, the closed loop could _still_ pass emissions tests whereas the
carbs were puking black smoke or whatever at a furious pace.  Don't
forget that I'm driving my car from a mountain top in Alaska down to
the floor of Death Valley, today.  Poor calibration and grossly changing
conditions are a fact of life for most, I for one don't want to spend
every other Saturday afternoon recalibrating carburetors (I'd rather be
changing EFI maps :).

Eric