[Diy_efi] sequential injection timing

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Aug 1 13:21:26 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Fahlgren" <eric.fahlgren at mscsoftware.com>
> > > You forgot "when tuned properly."
> > Please reread what I said, most specifically,
> > **AT BEST**
> Yes, I understood that, "at best" applies to my EFI-Weber and
> "when tuned properly" applies to a Traditional-Weber.  So, with
> my EW I hope to be able to reproduce well-tuned TW performance.
> > There is nothing superior in EFI compared to (OK, here we go) Properly
tuned
> > Webers.
> Aha, but how did we get to properly tuned Webers?  You are making my
> point for me, because you have often stated that there are very few
> people on the planet who have the knowledge and patience to actually
> tune a Weber correctly (I take that as a given).  My contention is
> that EFI-like tunability (move a single point in a map) is much,
> much simpler than Weber tuning (change one or more coefficients of
> one of several curves which interact and sum).

Nope, your assuming facts.
Very few people really take the time to Correctly dial in their EFI.
Very often folks wanna go to a aftermarket EFI, why?, cause it's easy to
tune, easy as in few tables switches and settings, all of which are
compromises.

It's the same mind set that gets a EFI just right as would get a Weber just
right.

Simplier?,
No,
redrilling a hole in an emulsion tube isn't rocket science.

The *problem* is most people are just lazy, they want things to just fall in
their lap rather then work at it.

> >   Closed Loop is just smoke and mirrors, there is no reason for it
> > other then to cover for a poor calibration.   Up until 1981 the world
> > revolved quite nicely without. <g>
> Except after 50k or 100k miles without any attention to the fuel delivery
> system, the closed loop could _still_ pass emissions tests whereas the
> carbs were puking black smoke or whatever at a furious pace.

Baloney,
crap fuel is generally the problem for Carbs or EFI.   I've seen more EFI'd
cars puke smoke then webered cars.   And to date the absolute record holder
for being a gross emitter is still a Ford Tauras (it was found in CA in a
road side randon check).

> Don't
> forget that I'm driving my car from a mountain top in Alaska down to
> the floor of Death Valley, today.  Poor calibration and grossly changing
> conditions are a fact of life for most, I for one don't want to spend
> every other Saturday afternoon recalibrating carburetors (I'd rather be
> changing EFI maps :).

You really haven't worked with Webers have you?.
I can change a set of air bleeds in one in as little time are it would take
you to fire up a laptop to change a fuel map.
BTW, I used to cross the continential divide routinely in my Webered car,
with hardly a hiccup.......
The only real answer to hill climbing is bringing your own atmosphere.
Bruce