[Diy_efi] higher pressure pumps for water injection

Chris Conlon synchris at speakeasy.org
Thu Aug 1 13:45:40 GMT 2002

At 08:26 AM 8/1/02 -0400, Eric Fahlgren wrote:
>Chris Conlon wrote:
>
>> Here is a link to a pump that supposedly goes up over 200 psi, though
>> the flow rate at that pressure *might* be a bit low for a 2JZ-GTE or
>> other like engine.
>
>No, it's plenty big, the number is in GPM (minute not hour), so it
>can pump 8lb/gal * 2gpm * 60min/hr = 960 lb/hr of water.

The page does not say so explicitly, but since it says "pumps *up to*
2 GPM" (emphasis added) I am pretty sure it pumps a lot less at 220psi
than at 50psi. Maybe the flow does not drop off as much as a
centrifugal would, but then again they don't actually say. Thus my
warning.

>Consider
>that you want maybe from 5:1 to 3:1 fuel to water (look in Ricardo
>for more [don't we always say that?])

We do... but my feeling is that 4:1 to 2:1 is a more likely range,
and one set of tests someone just pointed me to went up to 2:3
fuel to water with considerable benefit. At the very least I'd
hate to design a system then have to go back and redo it later
because I wanted a higher flow rate.

   Chris C.