[Diy_efi] sequential injection timing

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Aug 1 22:04:11 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Fahlgren" <eric.fahlgren at mscsoftware.com>

> Ok, but I still contend that the learning curve is such for carbs
> is much steeper than for EFI.

Now that you've reduced it to just carbs, then a *carb like a Holley* takes
1/100 as much time to understand, you have a main jet powervalve, idle speed
and mixture screw.

> So, if I ask you why you redrilled the one of the holes on the emulsion
> tube, will you say "because that's what has always worked before" or
> will you say, "here is the theory behind this particular circuit on
> this model, which specifies that this hole ..."

Depends on the situation, might get an answer of *it makes it lighter*.

> So, remember back when you first got the WB-LEDs working and you
> reported to us, "It makes tuning almost too easy"?

And it would also apply to carbies, since this list is about EFI, I try to
keep things somewhat EFI related.

>  Well, I think that
> part only makes identifying the goal part easy, now you actually have
> to "know where to hit," which is where I argue that EFI is better than
> carbs, it further separates the various tuning functions (cold
enrichments,
> AE, and so on) so that you can more easily tweak a single aspect of
> the tune (in other words making it easier to know where to hit).

What you think is what you think, however flawed that might be <g>.

> > You really haven't worked with Webers have you?.
> Absolutely correct, my experience tuning carbs was limited to Mikunis
> on 2-stroke bikes and SUs on 4 banger cars, way back when I was young.

At best either is crude, using the slide cutaway as mukini did was clever
and while it worked, it was enough to get the job done and that's all.  An
SU is the parent of  mukini.
Bruce