[Diy_efi] Early Gasoline Fuel Injection

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Mon Aug 5 02:45:17 GMT 2002

On Sun, 04 Aug 2002 13:42:09 -0600 Dave Williams <ronin at aristotle.net>
writes:

>  I have pictures of the Bendix Electro-Jector system from the
> 1950s, using vacuum tubes.  It was a proof-of-concept system
> only; it filled most of the passenger side floorboard and took
> several minutes to warm up.  It was all breadboard stuff, but
> it's doubtful they could have got the size down by even half,
> given the vacuum tubes and discrete components of the day.

That's the info I've been watching for, thanks.  The tube EFI was
a lab model, and not a production item as some have claimed.

That picture ought to be on the web site, under "ROOTS".

I wonder how much power it used?  Generators of the day were
kind of wimpy.  Imagine on a very cold day, turning on the tubes
and hoping there would be enough juice left to flip the motor
after they were hot.

Bruce Roe