[Diy_efi] Driving injector: forward biased diode between B and C of

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Mon Aug 5 23:46:52 GMT 2002

Stephen Webb wrote:

> For now I am going to assume it's an NPN transistor.  Everything about how
> it's connected makes sense to me except for a diode which is connected
> from the base to the collector.

If it's pretty old vintage (and something tells me k-jetronic is) you're
probably correct that it's bipolar.  What kind of package?  to-220?
Does it have a heat sink?  You should really desoldier it and then use
the "diode check" function of a DMM to verify the type and
configuration.  Usually, the legs are EBC or CBE from left to right,
when looking at the front of the package.

If it's really a collector-base diode, it's probably just for protection
of the CB junction (iirc, that can be sensitive to reverse-bias
breakdown.)  Or it could be the CE junction, in which case it's the
flyback protection diode.  It's hard to say without knowing for sure the
nature of the transistor.

Brian