[Diy_efi] more who-uses-what-chips-where-and-when...

Bill Wiese wmwiese at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 8 15:08:53 GMT 2002

Hi Jerry..

>[Jerry Wills wrote:]
> from some comments that Simon sent me about a JSAE review
> article that in 82 ND had gone to a core of 6801, but custom
> things around it and Bill Wiese msg earlier that echo's the
> same thoughts. This one is moot for me. Thanks for chiming
> in Bill, I know that somebody knows, but I first raised the
> flag 4 yrs ago, but nobody saluted.

I think there were prob ECU substantial design changes in Toyota
ECUs in mid-80s.  Your 82 unit with a 6801 is prob much, much
different than the 89-91 units which I examined. Do not assume
that these designs continue for much over 2-3 years during this
period as CPU speeds were increasing, costs were dropping and
there was much-improved integration.

I believe that a scrap Toyota ECU I looked at from around 90 -
can't remember which car it was from - used 3 CPUs - one 8 bitter
and two 4bitters, all from Fujitsu.

This is somewhat consistent with what I found in a Paseo and/or
Tercel with the dual 4-bit CPUs. (Which still shocks me today.)

Font/typefaces printed on 'house-numbered'/private-label ICs can
be a good guide to who makes what. (It let me suss out Fujitsu
from Toshiba from Mitsubishi, for example).  Sometimes the fonts
change from chip assy plant to plant but are generally consistent
over a reasonable period of time.

BTW some more "brain farts" on who-used-what-when:

...Nissan stuff from late 80s-mid 90s (dunno past that) used
Hitachi/JECS ECUs that, naturally, mostly used Hitachi CPUs. These
were Hitachi 6303 flavors w/external ROM and a 63140 Univ. Pulse
Processor ("UPP") - which kinda serves a similar duty to the TPU
in a 68332(but it should be noted that while the UPP is indedd
very "configurable" it isn't "programmable" like the TPU is with
its 512 uwords (now 2K? 4K? uwords) of very flexible microcode.

Some Nissan ECUs on lower-end cars in early 90s (Sentra, some
base trucks for a year or two?) used a Mitsubishi combined "RIOT"
chip (RAM, (P)ROM, I/O, timer) in a 68pin PLCC surface mount pkg.
Can't remember now if this was used still with a 6303 or they had
moved to a Mitsubishi 37xxx  65C02-derivative CPU.  (I do think
it was the latter as I think I was quite surprised to see major
non-Hitachi silicon in an Hitachi/JECS box).

[One other comment: early 90s Nissan trucks had ECUs marked primarily
as JECS, while other Nissan ECUs had Hitachi/JECS markings.]

IIRC, we were going to attack these projects (we were interested in
doing Sentra SE/R and NX2000 chips) but had other priorities and too
too few hands. If the RIOT chip's J-leads were cleaned w/solvent to
clear the conformal coating, an upside-down special PLCC test socket
+ small PCB could be placed over the RIOT chip, with one pin connected
to disable RIOT's internal PROM, and an external PROM filling the
32kB address space. [There may have been issues about the RIOT chip's
int/ext PROM selection being brought directly to Vss or Gnd instead
of thru a pullup/pulldown resistor in some ECU variations.]

Higher-end Acuras used the Hitachi H8/532 + external PROM in 92-mid
90s Legends, NSXs, and Vigors - instead of the Oki 66K CPU used in
low-end Acuras and Hondas.

Also, the early/mid90s Mitsubishi stuff that we took a brief look at
used Mitsubishi 65C02-based CPUs w/internal ROM.

Regards to my brothers-in-speed,
Bill Wiese
wmwiese at yahoo.com

=====