[Diy_efi] Re: CIS EFI via Fuel Pump PWM

Kenny W watson at iamfun.com
Thu Aug 8 17:28:40 GMT 2002

Quoting Kenny Bauman <kennybauman at yahoo.com>:

> Not sure I understand the 100:1 range needed of
> the
> pump.
>
> Perhaps you can clarify?

I think that's a little extreme, as actual efi systems
rarely if ever vary duty cycle from 1 all the way to
100%, which would be varying fuel delivery in a 100:1
fashion. I think the main issue with making this work
has been covered, that the pump response would be an
issue wrt to it's intertia and overall damped step
response. It makes more sense to run the pump
constantly and switch somthing that has a better time
constant both electrically and mechanicaly. Another
issue is that fuel in the lines after you shut the pump
off will dribble out of the injectors, you need some
sort of positive shutoff. You'd need a solenoid valve
located as close to the injectors themselves as
possible. And now you're back to having a return line
so you haven't really solved anything- you might as
well be running efi.
One thing that would be interesting though is to
replace the CIS flapper door with a hot wire AMM. A
unit that reads the AMM voltage and with one lookup
table outputs a voltage to a proportional valve that
varies the pressure just like the mechanical valve
operated by the flapper door. This would allow you to
use a huge AMM and eliminate the airflow limits many
conventional cis distributors impose. But again, buy
this time you could have converted to EFI so most of
this is pretty moot imo. Now where did I put that
medication?...

-Kenny
AKA Captain Bondo