[Diy_efi] CIS EFI via Fuel Pump PWM

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Thu Aug 8 17:20:04 GMT 2002

 Stephen Webb wrote,

While on the subject of CIS:

I have read in a few places that the actual CIS airbox / air flap
restricts airflow, and is responsible for up to 20% (?!) loss in airflow.
Does anyone know how true this is?

Hello Steve,

Somewhat true.  Even Bosch admits this in their literature and cites it as a
benefit of the hot wire and hot film air-mass meters.  Numbers vary all over
then place, but one ex factory engineer who did dyno test on L-jet motors,
with and without the meter, was surprised to find a 15% increase in output.
Having had both L-jet and CIS motors, I'd guess that CIS is even worse than
the L-jet meter.  I have an L-jet engine that I converted to a speed density
system, which was enough to convince me.  Others may need sugar coated
potions.

Paul