[Diy_efi] Re: MAPS

Donald P. Horkheimer hork0004 at umn.edu
Thu Aug 8 18:46:19 GMT 2002

Increasingly, automotive companies are using computer engine models and
simulations to lay the basic foundations of an engine's calibration.
All though the reliance and dependence on computer aided engineering is
increasing, no one to the best of my knowledge has totally developed and
tested an engine virtually.  The optimists says were getting closer, the
pessimist says never.
Design Of Experiment methods are also increasingly being used to find
the best possible "answer" for a given calibration point.  With the
increasing number of variables the test engineer has to work with, (e.g.
valve timing & lift, fuel injection timing & duration, spark advance,
and EGR etc etc), mathematical/statistical techniques are being
utilized, so as not every possible combination of variables has to be
tried on the dyno. DOE and CAE are becoming quite the combination and
will only get better as engine models improve and computers go faster
and faster.