[Diy_efi] Fw: Misc injector stuff, hardly worth reading

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Aug 15 17:31:56 GMT 2002

While intented to be Turbobuick specific (again Turbo buick, and in
particular vehicles in street trim), it might shed some light on what
other's are doing.   For those not familiar with the TBs, they run a MAF
system, and the meter pegs are 255gm/sec., which is easy to exceed  even
with a stock engine.   So while you can change the injector constant to
accomodate larger injectors, the whole plan still collapeses, since the
healthier the motor the faster you peg the meter, and the engine winds up
too rich too early.   There are some ways around this, but, to date, IMO
they seem rather crude.   Using the following you wind up with a blend of
Alpha-N and MAF.   While not perfect, it does give complete control of the
fuel curve, as compared to just hammering the calibration with a pegged MAF.
   For those that have taken tuning seriously and have an ecm bench you can
fire it up, and if you scanner looks at the commanded AFRs this whole puzzle
falls into place instantly.  If not then just doing the math, makes it easy
to figure out what's actually going on.   The difference in the two figures
are normally the scanner is looking at a RAM location, and that computation
has the battery voltage correction in it.

> Just to shed some light on this I ran some chips on the bench and added
some
> observations.
>
> Given a set of normal operating conditions for temps, and TPS values.
> Using an injector size of 55PPH, and a MAF of 160 to acheive a commanded
AFR