AW: [Diy_efi] Motec PLM

Schaffer Klaus Maria schaffer at vkmb.tu-graz.ac.at
Tue Aug 20 21:19:20 GMT 2002

> After the recent discussions about the accuracy of the
> WB kit, I have decided to go with the "real thing" and buy
> a professional A/F meter. I'm going to do this for a living,
> so... what the heck. I'm willing to pay up to $2K.
> I was searching through the web and came accross Motecs
> web page: http://www.motec.com.au/plm.htm
> They have a new toy called PLM (Professional Lambda Meter)
> which seems to be the new version of their earlier A/F meter...
> The difference: now they go for only $1300!!!!!.
> I was reading the PLM specs and it looks like it's a serious
> and reliable thing...Tons of features, works with both NTK
> and BOSCH sensors...
> What do you guys think about it? It it worth it?
> Comments, suggestions are more than welcome...
> Thanks! ( by the way, I can't see the price for the LA3 (LA4?)
> listed anywhere...anyone? ;-)

The new MOTEC PLM should be a good choice. They integrated two direct =
inputs for UEGO Sensors (Bosch LSU) on their newest M800 ECU, so I think =
they know what to do for getting out correct data from dual cell Lambda =
sensors. (A connection drawing you can find at =
http://www.motec.com.au/drawings/x25.pdf ).

Here at the institute at my test stand I have only (!!!) the ETAS/Bosch =
LA3 (with LSU4.7 WB sensor) and it costs us EUR 2800,- ($ 2700,-) two =
years ago. (Today the newer LA4 costs EUR 2.500,-, the only difference =
is that the LA4 works also with the LSU4.9 sensor. A cheaper device from =
ETAS/Bosch is the AWS2, a analysis module with analog output with values =
round 2.5V (2.5V for stoichiometric) but without a display for EUR =
900,-).

Two weeks ago I got the PCB and the parts kit from OZ_DIY-WB. After =
soldering, all electrical and the clean air test were positive, and I'm =
now installing the UEGO-PCB in the race car of a friend of mine. Our =
next race is at sunday and I tend to install the LA3 also to the engine. =
We are using a MOTEC M4 on our VW 2.0lt NA-engine and I will logging =
both signals DIY-WB and LA3 parallel. So, next week I hope I can publish =
an interesting Excel-sheet ;-).

The better way for testing the DIY-WB at stationary conditions will be =
at my test stand, but till october I'm testing a diesel-engine and with =
this I can't go under a Lambda of 1.05 (and at this load point I have a =
smoke# of 6.5 ;-). Later I have to drive a single cylinder SI-engine and =
with this I can do another tests.  =20

				--- so long ---, klaus.

PS: I think the difference in function of the BOSCH and the NTK device =
couldn't be that much, cause MOTEC use the same pins for connecting =
BOSCH LSU and NTK UEGO sensor to the M800 ECU. No input pins for the =
calibration resistor but you must insert the correct CAL-value in the =
sensor-setup page of the ECU-calibration program. The AUX-output for =
Heater- should be an open collector output of a low-side switching =
transistor. I think they control the heater for both sensors by PWM ? =
But how do they know something about the temperature, in addition that =
they cannot measure current or resistance?
For their PLM-Unit they are using the calibration pins (also for =
automatic detection). So after their qualifying comments about the =
different heating strategies at the data-sheet there should be no =
questions.

some other links:
http://www.motec.com.au/drawings/ecu-m800.pdf for Motec ECU M800
http://www.motec.com.au/drawings/x27.pdf for NTK UEGO sensor
http://www.etasgroup.com/download/am_aws2_br_en.pdf for BOSCH/ETAS AWS2
http://www.etasgroup.com/download/am_la4_br_en.pdf for BOSCH/ETAS LA4

 dipl. ing. klaus maria schaffer
 Institute of Internal Combustion Engines & Thermodynamics
 University of Technology, Graz - Austria
 A-8010 GRAZ, Kopernikusgasse 24/II
 email: schaffer at vkma.tu-graz.ac.at
 phone: +43-316-873-7724
 fax:   +43-316-873-7712