[Diy_efi] 4 wire o2 sensor

john smith abc_efi at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 18:02:29 GMT 2002

--0-921883380-1030080203=:30730

Hi All,

I am going to fit a 4 wire o2 sensor to my twin cylinder motorcycle and try to data log a few things. I have a couple of questions regarding the sensor.

Placement. The sensor came out of a 4 cyl car and was in the main manifold junction approx 8" from the ex port and exposed to all 4 cylinders. If I place in a similar position in one of my headers I assume average temperature will be down. Do I run the heater all the time or just under low load situations? or is there a way of sensing the temperature from the heater? resistance change when hot? Once it is hot is the actual temperature important or can it vary a fair bit without affecting readings too much?

Would there be a problem with erratic o2 readings because of the intermittent exhaust flow? I dont think I would get any fresh air back up from the muffler as there is a large baffle box under the bike where both headers end up. I was thinking of putting the sensor in the baffle box to expose it to more exhaust gas but I imagine the temperatures would be way down so would the heater would be on permantly?

I will probably try the sensor in both positions.

Any other problems anyone has come across?

All advice gratefully accepted

Thanks

one other thing the heater has a resistance of 13.5 ohms. Does it run off 12v?

thanks

--0-921883380-1030080203=:30730

<P>Hi All,</P>
<P>I am going to fit a 4 wire o2 sensor to my twin cylinder motorcycle and try to data log a few things. I have a couple of questions regarding the sensor.</P>
<P>Placement. The sensor came out of a 4 cyl car and was in the main manifold junction&nbsp;approx 8" from the ex port and exposed to all 4 cylinders. If I place in a similar position in one of my headers I assume average temperature will be down. Do I run the heater all the time or just under low load situations? or is there a way of sensing the temperature from the heater? resistance change when hot? Once it is hot is the actual temperature important or can it vary a fair bit without affecting readings too much?</P>
<P>Would there be a problem with erratic o2 readings because of the intermittent exhaust flow? I dont think I would get any fresh air back up from the muffler as there is a large baffle box under the bike where both headers end up. I was thinking of putting the sensor in the baffle box to expose it to more exhaust gas but I imagine the temperatures would be way down so would the heater would be on permantly?</P>
<P>I will probably try the sensor in both positions.</P>
<P>Any other problems anyone has come across?</P>
<P>All advice gratefully accepted</P>
<P>Thanks</P>
<P>one other thing the heater has a resistance of 13.5 ohms. Does it run off 12v?</P>
--0-921883380-1030080203=:30730--